Tuesday, October 17, 2006

French Cuisine

Most of my days here are spent preparing food for the groups, so I thought I would inform you about the food in France. In France, food is not just something that provides nourishment, but an experience. Over the last few weeks, I have spent my time learning the art of french cooking and the rituals that are involved in mealtime. The experience of food is beyond simply the taste of a dish, it is wrapped in presentation, order, relationship of the courses, and of equal importance, the people with whom the meal is being shared. A good meal involves lots of conversation and time to linger in the experience. When there are groups present, I spend a large portion of the day in the preparation of this meal experience. I will attempt to share with you some of my observations and typical mealtime rituals.

The place where it all goes down.

Breakfast (8AM)
Breakfast requires the least amount of preparation, because simply put it is BREAD! Yep, the only thing to eat for breakfast is bread and lots of it. Then, there is the beverage choice: Coffee, Tea, or Hot Chocolate. And there you have a typical french breakfast.

Isn't that just glorious?


Lunch (12 - 2PM)
Students are let out of school and companies allow their employees two hours to experience the most important meal of the day. Lunch begins with some sort of salad (examples: slivers of carrots in vinaigrette dressing, mixed vegetables and mayonnaise, shredded celery and vinaigrette, to name a few). Then the main course, usually a meat and starch. Examples are beef and boiled potatoes, burgundy beef, lasanga in a cream sauce, and chicken cordon bleu and rice. Bread is served with the main course and with the cheese tray that follows the main course. The cheese tray is a display of various degrees of cheese potency. The last course is the dessert, which consists of apple tarts, creme brulee, and other delicious creations.

Creme Brulee


Snacktime (4:30PM)
Includes an assortment of cookies, along with coffee and tea.


Dinner (typically btw. 7 - 8PM)
Dinner is the lighter meal. An example would be soup and quiche with salad and a basket of fruit for dessert. The meal is always followed up with a round of coffee and tea.

La Tartiflette (potatoes, bacon, cream, cream, cream and reblochen cheese) - another evening meal

This food ritual pretty much consumes (no pun intended) most of my day. The rest of the time is spent cleaning, doing laundry, shopping for food, or other random activities. Most days I get a little afternoon break, which I use for Siesta (wrong country but I enjoy the practice), bike riding, reading, or catching up on email. I've been joking that it feels like I'm in the movie "Groundhog Day" because most days are exactly the same. I hope you've enjoyed this little lesson on French cuisine.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW...2 hours for lunch!! Joe would have a serious problem being French...seeing as he only takes 11 minutes for lunch!!

Thanks for all your awesome posts and the pics are the best!!

Anonymous said...

I think when you come home you should make us some of those amazing dishes.
Love coming to you blog site, it makes it seem like we're right there with you.
Love,
Mom

Amy M said...

awww, yay for French food!

i didn't do anything too stupid today...except that i totally got stood up by the mayor. the other language assistants & i were supposed to meet him at noon. it got canceled an no one told me...BOOHOO.

but i finished crying & am now ok ;-)

The Dellers said...

Aunt Michelle,

Out of all the choices, we'll take the bread...with a little butter and jelly of course. Nathan says it all looks yummy to him and the Caleb and I can handle the fruit also. Mommy thinks the creme brulee looks fabulous. Daddy's not here to vote, but we say the BREAD for daddy, too. We can't wait for you to cook for us. We promise not to be too picky!! We miss you tons.

Love you,
Joshua

Anonymous said...

I want recipes!!!!! I have been sitting here at my desk drooling! Seriously!

Cheri

P.S. You are a great writer and I enjoy reading every detail! Thanks! You know how much I want to be there!

Anonymous said...

So how do you get to go to all these fabulous sporting events??
Enjoyed your new blog.

Aunt Barb